I t’s no surprise that things like autonomous vehicles, video surveillance, and the Internet of Things (IoT) are driving astronomical growth in the amount of unstructured data produced in the world. IDC recently predicted that the “global datasphere” would grow to 163ZB by 2025, a tenfold increase from 2016. What is a bit surprising is that many of the legacy storage systems today, although capable of scaling up to meet rapidly changing capacity demands, are beginning to fall short with regards to how efficiently and cost-effectively they are managing these large data sets in an increasingly complex storage environment. And it’s not just the sheer amount of data itself that has to be managed:
- Primary storage is costly: There is a significant need to ensure that companies are optimizing capacity and performance to maximize their investments.
- Archives are growing larger by the day: And businesses are looking to extract more value from their “dark data”—so the archive needs to be both low cost and easily accessible.
- Storage tiering is no longer a nice-to-have, but an absolute requirement: Companies have increasingly complex requirements for shared access, retention, and protection, as well as a variety of storage mediums to consider—from all-flash arrays, to object stores, tape, and even the cloud.
This increased complexity rapidly diminishes the ability of the storage infrastructure to quickly ingest, globally share, and efficiently manage large data sets of increasingly larger files, all while maintaining optimized performance levels with maximum availability.
Introducing StorNext 6
Quantum recently announced a new version of our award-winning StorNext® high-performance storage platform. At a high level, StorNext 6 extends our expertise in large data-intensive workloads to a broader range of enterprises and use cases, delivering a unique combination of high performance and advanced data management. Significant enhancements have been made to both our parallel scale-out file system as well as our advanced data management software, StorNext Storage Manager.
Key New Features
- FlexSync™: A powerful new capability that enables greater collaboration and data protection by providing a fast, flexible, and simple way to synchronize data between multiple StorNext systems in a highly manageable and automated fashion. Efficient synchronization means near instant point-in-time file copies can automatically replicate at virtually any interval based on the needs of the business.
- FlexSpace™: Enables geographically dispersed teams to easily access the same archive from a central point, as multiple StorNext systems can share a single archive repository, on-premise or in the cloud via S3 protocol. Users can also take advantage of a single namespace to improve collaboration and workflow.
- Data management improvements: StorNext 6 delivers many new features that can significantly reduce costs and overhead through increased efficiencies. Rich new file-auditing capabilities enable administrators to get granular detail on any and all successful changes to files. The new online stripe group management feature enables administrators to non-disruptively increase capacity—allowing applications and users to continue to work without downtime.
- Client and workflow enhancements: New Quality of Service (QoS) policies can be created to optimize and prioritize individual client performance for critical workloads. Additional improvements to clients include the ability to easily and efficiently browse and retrieve archived or offline files without inadvertently spawning multiple file retrieve requests and bogging down the storage system.
We are excited about the new enhancements and features in StorNext 6. They are designed to address the storage challenges companies are facing today, as well as prepare for the new and unforeseen storage challenges of tomorrow. Please take the time to learn more about StorNext 6 and how it can help your organization efficiently manage large, data-intensive workloads.