CNBC outlined a short list of four actions large companies can take to prevent ransomware attacks.
- Ensure anti-virus programs are up-to-date
- Back up copies of data
- Scrutinize links and files contained in emails
- Download software from trusted sources
We’re highlighting the importance of “back up copies of data”. How do you ensure your backups will protect you from an attack?
It’s a simple rule, and it’s easy to make it a mantra with your IT organization—3-2-1 data protection.
- 3 copies of your data
- 2 different types of media (tape, disk, and deduplication)
- 1 air-gapped copy (offline and off-site)
The 1 offline copy is the most important component of ransomware protection. Why?
When ransomware enters your systems, usually through a PC, it begins to encrypt your data and can target network-attached storage (NAS), virtualization, online collaboration tools, and more. Offline copies of your data are the only safe files. You can consider a couple different strategies to manage offline copies. Small companies can get by with an offline hard drive or back up files on large thumb drives, but most companies opt to use a small tape library and tape rotation system. Tape rotation and off-site storage of backup copies also prevent any danger of data loss from fire, flood, or other natural disasters at the physical site of your data center.
Quantum specializes in storage, and we’re happy to provide more expertise to ensure you have a solid, efficient, and cost-effective 3-2-1 data protection strategy. Contact us to schedule an individual data protection consultation, so you can be confident your company’s data is safe.
- Learn more about best practices for fighting ransomware. Check out our ransomware white paper and recorded webinar.
- Register for our upcoming live webinar in partnership with Veeam on June 1, 2017.
- Discover options for the newest tape technology to add air-gapped backup in your data center.
- Look at the latest Quantum Scalar® iBlade™ integration with Veeam allowing you to integrate tape in your Veeam environment without a physical server.